Subject: Examining wall paintings

Examining wall paintings

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Tuesday, May 11, 1999
This is in answer to Dr. Konrad Zehnder's inquiry concerning a
complex building analysis problem.  I recommend you contact Dr. John
Asmus at the Institute for Pure and Applied Sciences at the
University of California in San Diego.  I contacted Dr. Asmus to
work on a project several years ago to help determine if a gigantic
painting by Jay DeFeo had been crushed by a shroud of plaster placed
over it.  John applied ultrasound and microwave to the problem.  I
can not think of a better person to consult with when applying sonic
and light-energy sensing systems to complex materials analysis. John
is an expert in laser technology and has considerable (30 years)
experience working with difficult and unique art problems,
especially regarding buildings.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service