Subject: Accreditation

Accreditation

From: Barry Byers <barry.byers>
Date: Friday, May 7, 1999
With tremendous regard for the people who run this list and admitted
impatience with the issue at hand I'll be brief. I submit that
before anyone waste any more of the otherwise-valuable space in this
excellent forum on the accreditation issue they study the system (if
I may glorify it with that designation) which has evolved in Canada.
There is a conservation association to which anyone interested in
conservation can belong; there is a linked but independent
certifying body which has almost no other business and there is a
code of ethics/standards of practice document developed jointly by
the two of them. It is a system created by humans and is, like
humans, imperfect. But it works. If the next mention of
accreditation I see on this list is a criticism--even a scathing
one--of the Canadian system I'll acknowledge that we are getting
somewhere.

Barry Byers
Chief Conservator
Preservation Services