Subject: Accreditation

Accreditation

From: Erin Vigneau <vigneau>
Date: Thursday, May 6, 1999
Bryan Owen <Bryan_Owen [at] nps__gov> writes

>Is there a
>white collar profession that does not go through academic ways and
>means?  Now there are only excellent engineers, doctors, lawyers,
>architects, curators, archivists, et cetera.

Just an aside. One of the means to becoming a registered Architect
used to be that a candidate would work as a draftsman in
architecture firms for a required # of years and then be qualified
to take a state board exam. This was true in the '70's, in the state
of CT, where my father is an Architect. Several people trained to
become registered architects in his office. There may be much that
we can learn from the accreditation struggles of these other
professions.

Erin Vigneau
Assistant General Collections Conservator
Princeton University
Firestone Library
One Washington Road
Princeton, NJ 08544