Subject: Blocked paper

Blocked paper

From: Ania Zalenskaia <anz>
Date: Friday, May 7, 1999
Gary Saretzky <saretzky [at] rci__rutgers__edu> writes

>I have custody of several dozen volumes of 18th and 19th century
>hand written court and county clerk records that had been stored in
>damp if not wet conditions over a long period of time when they were
>"discovered" twenty years ago.   Naturally, they became infested
>with insects and mold.  They were dried and fumigated (with what I
>don't know).  Although the volumes were stabilized, the pages were
>found to be fused together.

In the next issue of International Preservation News
<URL:http://www.ifla.org/VI/4/pac.htm> due at the end of June we
will publish an article concerning exactly this matter and
explaining a simple method of separating the "cemented" pages
(thanks to a low frequency electric current).

If Mr Saretzky does not receive IPN on a regular basis (and free of
charge) we shall be happy to add him on our mailing list. If so,
please let me know. With my best wishes

Sincerely yours
Ania Zalenskaia

                   Distributed: Monday, May 10, 1999