Subject: Acid activity of wood

Acid activity of wood

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe>
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 1999
Quoting from "Storage Furniture: A Brief Review of Current Options,"
by Sherelyn Ogden, Karen Brown <kebrown [at] nedcc__org> writes

>...oak, which has been used extensively for the storage of library and
>archival materials, is considered the wood with the most volatile
>acidity and should not be used.

I've just completed making thirty wooden frames for photographs.
While I chose the wood for its visual attributes (White Ash, it
looks great!), it did cross my mind that different woods might have
different long term effects on the archival permanence of the framed
art.

Could someone tell me the acid volatilities of various common woods,
or of where to find this information?

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems &
Forever Yours Bridal Gown Preservation