Subject: Gums

Gums

From: Jane Colbourne <jane.colbourne>
Date: Thursday, April 29, 1999
The following is posted on behalf of Bronwyn Ormsby

    I am a Painting Conservator currently studying for a Ph.D. at
    the University of Northumbria at Newcastle.  My research is a
    collaborative project between the University and the Tate
    Gallery in London.  Dr. Brian Singer of the University of
    Northumbria and Dr. Joyce Townsend of the Tate Gallery are two
    of my supervisors.  The title of the project is "An
    investigation into the materials and techniques of William Blake
    (1757-1827) and his followers"--with a focus (at least
    initially) on his tempera paintings.

    The project aims to thoroughly document Blake's techniques and
    involves a literature search into his use of materials as well
    as into the availability of water-colour paints, gums and
    proteins during the late 18th and early 19th centuries.   The
    second part of the research involves scientific analysis of
    media via the use of Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry
    (GC-MS) and High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC).

    I am beginning the analysis with a survey of gums traditionally
    used as paint media, and have gathered samples from as many
    sources as possible. The next stage is the analysis of
    water-colour paints and artists palettes from the time period.
    After this, I will begin analysis of Blake paintings, primarily
    from the Tate collection and ultimately also from other
    collections.

    I am wondering whether anyone can help me with information
    regarding gums and water-colour paints used until about 1850 in
    England.   I am also interested in obtaining samples of water
    colour paints produced in the first half of the 19th C and late
    18th C and am interested to sample any archival material.

    I would very much appreciate any advice, information and/or
    samples people can offer. Of course, I will include
    acknowledgements in my thesis and any papers arising from the
    research.

    Yours sincerely,

    Bronwyn Ormsby
    Dept. of Chemical and Life Sciences