Subject: Painting technique in 17th century Spain

Painting technique in 17th century Spain

From: Gwendoline Fife <wagcon>
Date: Wednesday, April 28, 1999
I am a Mellon Fellow in the Painting Conservation department at the
Walters Art Gallery in Baltimore. For my research project I am
undertaking the technical examination and treatment of the
'Immaculate Conception' (oil on canvas) by Bartolome Esteban Murillo
(c.1670) in the collection. Thus far, I have been unable to locate
any published technical reports of 17th century Spanish paintings. I
would therefore be interested in hearing from anyone who has
technical information on any of Murillo's paintings. Information
from technical examinations of any paintings by Spanish artists
working in Seville in the late 17th century would also be very much
appreciated.

Please address applies to:

    Gwendoline Fife, Conservation dept
    Walters Art Gallery.