Subject: Book trucks

Book trucks

From: Catherine May <cmay>
Date: Wednesday, April 28, 1999
I am in the process of ordering a book truck and am quite surprised
by the variety of book trucks on the market. I work in an art  and
architecture library, where the books are commonly large and
sometimes awkward to reshelve. Student workers prefer to place the
books on their fore edges on the book truck so that they can see the
call number while reshelving. (Our book truck has three flat
shelves.) Consequently, a lot of damage has occurred from the stress
to the hinges. Since I think that it is going to be difficult to
break old habits and I know reshelving is much easier when the call
number can be seen, I'm thinking the best solution is to get a truck
that has angled shelving so that both the call number is visible and
less stress is applied to the vulnerable areas of the book. However,
I'm finding that it is difficult to find a truck with angled shelves
that are deep enough for large art and architecture books. Does
anyone out there have any suggestions as to which book truck might
be better than others? Similar experience? Advice?

Catherine May
Architecture Library
Georgia Institute of Technology
catherine.may [at] library__gatech__edu