Subject: Pest management

Pest management

From: Karen Potje <kpotje>
Date: Friday, April 23, 1999
Giuseppe Cherubini <iat [at] dst__it>

>I have the solution for Your books. We use Ageless, an oxygen
>adsorber to save and clean Your books. You have to put your books in
>a package together with Ageless and after 10 days all insects, mold
>etc. at any level (pupae, larvae, adult, egg) will be eliminated.
>You don't need to make vacuum, You don't need pesticides. If you
>want we can make the service or supply you the equipment/material.

I'm sure you'll get lots of replies to Giuseppe Cherubini's
suggestion that Ageless will not only kill insect pests, but will
also eliminate mould.  If only it were so simple and we could all
stop worrying (and stop vacuuming).

I don't think the makers of Ageless make any claims than an anoxic
environment will control mould, and I would be interested in
hearing from one of the experts concerning what mould will do in an
oxygen free environment.  Will it go dormant?  Even if it does, when
you take your books out of that anoxic environment, the mould will
still be there.  As far as I know, mould--whether dead or alive,
dormant or active, is a health hazard.

Karen Potje
Head, Conservation/Preservation
Canadian Centre for Architecture