Subject: Maintenance of sprinkler systems

Maintenance of sprinkler systems

From: Nancy Weaver <restorer>
Date: Tuesday, April 20, 1999
The following is posted on behalf of Joe Nekiel who is not on the
DistList

 Karen Potje <kpotje [at] cca__qc__ca> writes

 >Among the various fire control systems at the Canadian Centre for
 >Architecture is a wet pipe sprinkler system that was adapted to be a
 >dry pipe system ten years ago.  Over the course of the next year, we
 >will be cleaning and updating this system and it will again be a wet
 >pipe system.

 First thing that comes to mind is why the sprinkler system was
 converted in the first place, wet systems in cold climates tend to
 freeze unless they are filled with a mixture of anti freeze and
 water, this must be monitored regularly and even a small drip in
 the system has the potential for environmental upsets and stained
 surfaces from the antifreeze.

 I would strongly recommend that you keep the dry system as it is
 far superior to the wet one, if you are having problems with the
 dry system mechanism let me know and I will try to help.

 Joe Nekiel
 770-748-7035 home
 770-684-5468 ext 333 work

                 Distributed: Thursday, April 22, 1999