Subject: Repairing foldouts

Repairing foldouts

From: Phyllis Graham <pgraham>
Date: Wednesday, April 14, 1999
We are seeking some collective wisdom on the best way to repair
large foldouts in archaeological publications.   Old tears have been
mended with all manner of adhesive tape over the years; after
removing what we can without causing further damage, is it better to
rejoin (or reinforce) at the original folds with japanese paper and
paste, or to line or overlay the entire leaf?  With japanese paper?
Filmoplast?  Is there a particular tissue recommended for very worn,
rather thin papers?  We started with supplies of Tosa and Sekishu
paper, used with methyl cellulose; neither of these, however, is
quite right for some of the semi-glossy, yellowed (and often soiled)
leaves needing attention. Many of these illustrations--for the most
part architectural plans and reconstructions--are candidates for
eventual digitization, but meanwhile we would like to arrest their
deterioration and do right by the books in which they are bound.  It
would be helpful to hear from anyone with a greater fund of
experience than ours.

Phyllis Graham
Assistant Librarian
The Blegen Library