Subject: Radioactive graphite bricks

Radioactive graphite bricks

From: Craig Deller <craig>
Date: Friday, April 9, 1999
I had written a post earlier (Instance: 12:76, Friday, March 26,
1999) looking for people who had worked on radioactive materials of
an historic nature and received one response off-list (thank you),
so I assuming that this is not done very often if at all. One
question that has come up is whether or not the radioactivity
associated with these very historically important materials should
be considered part of the objects fabric.  Should it be removed?

Craig Deller
The Deller Conservation Group, Ltd
Geneva, Illinois  USA
Conservation Services for Historic Furniture and Objects

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 20, 1999