Subject: Mold on musical instrument cases

Mold on musical instrument cases

From: Sean Harrison <seanh>
Date: Thursday, April 15, 1999
After some searching in the archives to find no articles giving
direct attention to our needs, I am forced to bring this issue to
light.  The issue is that I am not dealing with paper, to which most
of the articles speak.

We have a few old musical instrument cases that show signs of mold
outside and in.  When we see this condition we always separate the
instrument from the case, give both a good vacuuming, and store them
in two polyethylene bags each as a quarantine.  Our work room
relative humidity is on average of 20%, and our store room RH is 40%
flat; so outbreak is mitigated somewhat by this dry environment. The
substrates are dry at this point, thus limiting another source of
humidity.

What is the best treatment of this condition?  But what more can we
do to remove the "staining" and aroma, which I assume is evidence of
potential activity?

In answering please consider that the case coverings may be either:
tolex, leather or vinyl, on a substrate of wood or fiber-board; the
inner linings may be the same materials, or they may consist of
cloth with or without padding (usually synthetic) over the same
outer materials.

Sean Harrison
Senior Collections Assistant
Experience Music Project