Subject: Pest management

Pest management

From: Michael Trinkley <chicora>
Date: Sunday, April 11, 1999
Mr. Flaiani inquires about the use of K-Orthrine (or Orthrin), also
known as deltamethrin (a pyrethroid), for treatment of "insects
among ... books." Like any conservation treatment I think it would
be important to know what pests are present and why they are
present. In other words, it may be that the pests can be better
managed through manual removal, or through modification of the
environment, or some other approach, without having to resort to the
use of a pesticide. Moreover, here in the States pesticides are
approved for use on specific insects, so I would be hesitant to
common on the appropriateness of this pesticide without knowing the
target pests.

In terms of "is there anything better," again I think that depends
on the very specific conditions and circumstances--something akin to
asking an objects conservator if there is something better than
B-72. Well... it depends.

I realize that this isn't a great deal of help, but I'd be happy to
correspond directly to talk about the issue in greater detail. Best,

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director
Chicora Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 8664