Subject: Labels for fiche envelopes

Labels for fiche envelopes

From: John Boral <b2bdirect>
Date: Friday, April 9, 1999
Nancy Robertson <nrobertson [at] gw__libofmich__lib__mi__us> writes

>Our staff has noticed some fading or deterioration on some fiche
>which clearly aligns with the label on the fiche envelope. My
>concern  is that since the paper envelope shows no sign of yellowing
>or deterioration, perhaps the adhesive has somehow caused a reaction
>with the fiche. I have searched high and low, and my colleague has
>contacted GPO, and none of us has been able to come up with
>recommendations regarding labels on fiche envelopes.

It sounds like the adhesive from the labels has migrated thru the
envelopes and had an adverse effect on the fiche. Fiche envelopes
tend to be much thinner than standard envelopes sold for
preservation storage, also someone may have used a label with a
strong solvent based adhesive. Foil back labels have a safer acrylic
adhesive, however the adhesive can still migrate thru a thin fiche
envelope over time. I wouldn't recommend using a label on a fiche
envelope. If you would like more information on labels sold by
vendors in the preservation field, please give me a call at
413-562-2587.

John Boral
B2B Direct Inc.

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 20, 1999