Subject: Bindery design

Bindery design

From: Phyllis Graham <pgraham>
Date: Friday, April 2, 1999
Would any members of the list be willing to comment on the basic
items of equipment, minimum required space, and necessary personnel
for an in-house library binding facility (buckram and linen only)
handling around 3,200 new and 600 rebinds per year?  A local
conservator has submitted an itemized budget for fine bookbinding
and conservation, but the greater need is for information applicable
to production binding for our two heavily used research
collections--with an emphasis on controlling the sources and quality
of materials used.  We're just beginning to gather information in
anticipation of a fund-raising effort.  I've inquired of commercial
establishments in Greece, the UK, and the US.  Any guidelines,
estimates, advice gratefully accepted.

Phyllis Graham
Assistant Librarian
The Blegen Library