Subject: Lighting for copy photography

Lighting for copy photography

From: David Seubert <seubert>
Date: Thursday, April 1, 1999
We just inherited a "new" copy stand from another department.
Patrons use the stand to photograph/videotape items from our
collections: book covers, photographs, manuscripts etc. It currently
has four 150 watt Sylvania floodlights in it. This seems excessive
and that this much light might damage some items. Does anybody have
a suggestion or guidelines on what would be a reasonable level of
illumination for this kind of work to minimize damage to the
documents but not to make it too difficult to get a decent photo? I
found one relevant message in the archives, but it recommended using
strobes.

Also, we recently had a photographer ask if he should bring tungsten
or daylight film. Assuming that most photographers are going to be
using daylight film, should we buy daylight temperature bulbs? Has
anybody done this? Also, is it possible to get bulbs for a copy
stand that filter UV light? I've looked through a couple of archival
(but not photo) catalogs and haven't come up with anything.

David Seubert, Curator
Performing Arts Collections
Davidson Library Special Collections
University of California at Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
805-893-5444
Fax: 805-893-5749

                   Distributed: Friday, April 2, 1999