Subject: Oil paint on paper

Oil paint on paper

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Thursday, April 1, 1999
This is in response to Marike Nassy's inquiry concerning oil
paintings on paper.  In would agree with Jack Thompsen that there is
not enough information on which to determine a treatment modality
for this work.  We would like to know the condition of the paper
support.  Often oil on paper results in degradation of the paper
with embrittlement and loss of strength as well as discoloration. It
seems to me that mounting this painting onto a new support is rather
drastic unless there is some obvious failure in the present paper
support.  As I understand the problem, the sheet is difficult to
handle and tends to crease when carried.  I would recommend a
minimal treatment by hinging the paper support to a solid support
like a paper honeycomb panel. This would facilitate handling and
allow for future treatment.  On the other hand, if the paper support
is failing and damage to the image is resulting from this failure,
then by all means follow Jack's advice.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service