Subject: CHIN

CHIN

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Tuesday, March 30, 1999
I have noticed that a large number of inquiries to the Cons DistList
go unanswered and that many of these could be satisfied by access to
the Canadian conservation on-line bibliographic service CHIN
(Canadian Heritage Information Network) <URL:http://www.chin.gc.ca/>

Often people ask for answers to particular problems to which members
graciously answer and often these are unusual problems which one
cannot find answers (or at least uncomplex answers) in the
literature.  At times such inquiries create interesting discussions
between members and new information, not yet in print is made
available. Unfortunately, anecdotal information is discussed which
is contrary to published information based on experiments and long
practice.  Luckily the DistList is also archived so that people can
use it as a data bank and Walter kindly directs some inquiries to
archived information.  However, I have been disturbed in recent
months by the number of inquiries for which there are good
publications in the literature and this trend seems to me worthy of
concern as it indicates that the published literature is either not
available to people or that many practitioners are simply not in the
habit of referring to it as a primary source.

Since many institutions subscribe to CHIN (pay the $100 yearly fee)
and their employees have access free, it would seem of benefit to
the professionalism of the field if the AIC could strike a deal with
CHIN for member access to be included in the AIC annual membership
fee.  This way members could have the benefit of the DistList and
access to the literature.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service