Subject: Oil paint on paper

Oil paint on paper

From: Marike Nassy <teyler>
Date: Thursday, March 25, 1999
As a paper conservation student at the Netherlands Institute for
Cultural Heritage in Amsterdam I'm currently working on my final
project: the treatment of a 19th-century oil painting on paper
(53x71 cm, paint covers paper surface completely, brown discoloured
paper, tears and losses at the edges, different types of 'bloom' can
be seen on the paint layer).

Although the paper is not extremely brittle the objects size makes
it vulnerable to improper handling. A treatment option I'm therefore
considering (after speaking to some conservators and reading
literature) is application of a support layer of Japanese paper with
starch paste. Apart from literature research I'm very interested in
practical experiences from paper and paint conservators concerning
the following points:

    *   risks to the paint layer (chemically and physically) when
        using a water-based adhesive

    *   adhesion of a water-based adhesive to an oil-stained paper

    *   use of BEVA or other thermoplastic adhesives for lining oil
        paintings on paper

Thanking you in advance,

Marike Nassy
Teylers Museum

Institute of Chemical Technology Prague
Dept of Chemical Technology of Monument Conservation
Technicka 5
166 28 Prague
Czech Republic
+42 2 24353800