Subject: Ozone generators

Ozone generators

From: Lydia C. Egunnike <l.egunnike>
Date: Thursday, March 25, 1999
Our air-conditioning contractors are investigating the possibility
of installing ozone generators throughout the Library a/c system. It
is envisaged that the generators will reduce the problems we are
presently experiencing with mould outbreaks in the ducting. We have
been assured that the level of ozone generated will be very small
(0.02 - 0.04 ppm). However, I am still concerned at the possible
adverse effects this may have on our collections. I was wondering if
anyone knew of any up-to-date literature that specifically lists
levels of ozone that cause damage to library and archival material
(cellulose, photographic material etc) Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Lydia Egunnike
Senior Conservator
Preservation Services