Subject: Thai paintings

Thai paintings

From: Karen Brown <kebrown>
Date: Wednesday, March 24, 1999
Alix Defournoux <alix.defournoux [at] prodipharm__com> writes

>I'm a 4th year student in the conservation training programme of the
>Ecole d'Art d'Avignon, France. As a final diploma thesis, I'm
>preparing to report about the materials used in traditional Thai
>painting (murals and on canvas) and about the typical deterioration
>pattern of those paintings and its causes.

You may wish to review the following:

    Prasartset, Chompunut (Author)
    Bridgland, Janet (Editor)
    "Materials and Techniques of Thai Wall Paintings: A Comparative
    Study of Late 19th Century Murals and Early-period Murals."
    ICOM Committee for Conservation, 11th Triennial Meeting in
    Edinburgh, Scotland, 1-6 September 1996: Preprints, 1996 pp.
    430-434.

    Lyons, Elizabeth (Author)
    Thai Traditional Painting (Thai Culture, New Series; N.
    20),1990.  Bangkok: Fine Arts Department. Promotion and Public
    Relations Sub-Division.

    Na Songkhla, Wannipa (Author)
    Suzuki, T.; Masuda, K. (Editor)
    "Traditional Thai Mural Painting and its Conservation"
    International Symposium on the Conservation and Restoration of
    Cultural Property--Conservation and restoration of mural
    paintings (II)--November 18-21, 1984, Tokyo, Japan
    (International symposium on the conservation and restoration of
    cultural property) ,1985 pp. 125-136. (Tokyo: Tokyo National
    Research Institute of Cultural Properties).

Karen E.K. Brown
Field Service Representative
Northeast Document Conservation Center
100 Brickstone Square