Subject: Smoke

Smoke

From: Ronald Harvey <rsharvey>
Date: Monday, March 22, 1999
I have just received a call about smoke and fire related odors in an
historic house.  I am interesting in knowing conservators
experiences with treating smoke and soot deposits within an historic
house--original plaster walls, reproduction wallpaper, multiple
paint layers on interior woodwork.  Some of the plaster walls have
suffered water damage, the interior of the house has recently been
"done" including latex paint over woodwork.  The clients are
concerned with smokey smell and have been advised to remove the
original plaster and the original split lath--which is not
acceptable.  My thoughts have been to clean surfaces, apply primer
and repaint.  Document, stabilize plaster ceilings and repair, then
repaint.  Does anyone have experience with air treatment such as
ozone, air filters with HEPA and CPZ filtration to absorb odors?

Ron Harvey
Principal
Tuckerbrook Conservation

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 23, 1999