Subject: Filmoplast P1 tape

Filmoplast P1 tape

From: Jonna Larsen <jonna.larsen>
Date: Tuesday, March 23, 1999
I read Dave Dannhauser's posting about Filmoplast tapes with great
interest.  Dannhauser, who is archival products manager for Neschen
in the US, said that he agreed that self-adhesive tapes should not
be used for "archival" applications.  Still the boxes of tape have
the text "archival quality" printed on them! I have a very sad
example of the damages on the cultural heritage that Neschen's
misleading labelling of their products have led to: Before the first
paper conservator was hired at the museum where I work, the museum
would let a trusted framer mount and frame works of art on paper. He
used Filmoplast P 90 tape, believing what was printed on the box:
"archival quality, water removable ..." . Today some of our most
precious works of art on paper have big pieces of Filmoplast P 90 on
the reverse. I would be very interested to get Neschen's advice on
how to remove the tape!  Water will only remove the paper carrier,
leaving the adhesive stuck in the fibers of the paper. The only
solvent that I have tried that worked is xylene.

Jonna Larsen, Paper Conservator
Bergen Kunstmuseum
Rasmus Meyers Alle 3
N-5018 Bergen