Subject: Binding archive materials

Binding archive materials

From: Teri L. Herbert <herbertl>
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 1999
    **** Moderator's comments: The following was posted on
    alumni-l [at] ruby__ils__unc__edu and is reposted here without the
    knowledge or consent of the author. Please respond directly to
    the author.

    Date: 17 Mar 1999
    From: Heather Mitchell <hmitchel [at] qrtp__quintiles__com>
    To: alumni-l [at] ruby__ils__unc__edu
    Subject: question for archivists

    I have undertaken an archiving project in my department at work.
    To meet FDA standards we have decided it would be best for us to
    have the project documentation from previous years
    professionally bound.  At the moment the documentation is in
    looseleaf 3 ring binders.  Not only is it messy, but it is too
    easy for pages to go missing.  I have a couple of questions for
    the archivists in the field:

    1.  what methods of binding do you find most effective for
        archiving rather thick piles of documentation? The binding
        needs to be something that will stand up to some wear and
        tear but which will also allow easy viewing of the entire
        page.  It should also be somewhat "tamper proof" so that
        pages can't  be removed or inserted once the documentation
        is bound.

    2.  Who do you use to have your documents professionally bound?
        I know Kinko's does some binding but I am unsure as to their
        quality.

    Heather Mitchell
    Software Quality Control
    Quintiles, Inc.