Subject: Archaeological water skin

Archaeological water skin

From: Marina Rassovsky <consob>
Date: Sunday, March 14, 1999
We are looking for suggestions regarding an archaeological water
skin found next to Masada in the 1930's. The skin dates to
approximately 70 A.D. It was excavated in generally good shape but
had many insect holes and, while some of it is supple, there are
areas where the skin is very tough. It was filled in the 1950's with
a shape made of textile and stuffed with cotton. The leather was
then stitched to the inner shape with fishing line. We are currently
preparing the object for exhibit (removed all stitching and old
stuffing) and were wondering if anyone had ideas regarding couching
versus gluing the leather to the inner shape. It will be necessary
to secure some of the leather to the inner shape as there are areas
which are "hanging" down and do not adhere the the general shape of
the skin. We will appreciate anybody's past experiences and
suggestions for possible glues (we are testing gelatin, klucel G,
methocel, funori, spermacetti...any thing else? ).

Marina Rassovsky
Chemistry Lab for Conservation
Israel Museum, Israel

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 18, 1999