Subject: Adhesive for cast resin

Adhesive for cast resin

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch>
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 1999
Anne Lane inquired about what adhesive to use on modern cast resin
models.  I checked with a staff member who works on these objects
(he is not a conservator).  The following is his response:

   "I usually use five minute epoxy.  It has worked well for me on
    cast resin and cast white metal pieces.  I haven't had anything
    come apart. Modeling sources also recommend or suggest super
    glue gel.  On larger pieces, or if the joint will be under
    stress, it is a good idea to 'pin' the two pieces.  That may not
    work in this case, if the surfaces are too small."

I would agree with using a conservation-quality cyanoacrylate, if
there are any on the market rather than the epoxy.  Pinning is also
a good suggestion, but is getting into an intrusive level of
treatment.  You might want to have an objects conservator look at
these objects and propose a treatment.  Let me know if you have
further questions.

Paul Storch
Objects Conservator
Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory (DOCL)
B-109.1, Minnesota History Center
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul, MN  55102-1906
651-297-5774