Subject: Filmoplast P1 tape

Filmoplast P1 tape

From: Dave Dannhauser <filmo>
Date: Monday, March 15, 1999
As archival products manager in the US for the company Neschen,
makers of filmoplast book and paper mending tapes, I've been reading
with some interest the comments regarding our filmoplast P-1 and
P-91 paper tapes including those most recently from Ms. Kaplan and
Ms. Rohan.

Let me make very clear at the onset that I am in whole hearted
agreement with you all on the premise that self-adhesive tapes are
not suitable for "archival" applications.  Where one draws the line
however as to defines an "archival application" is subject to
interpretation and often economic considerations play as important a
role in the treatment decision as does the physical quality of the
materials at hand. To say that *all* mending should be done using
traditional wheat paste and rice paper to a county archives or
church library with limited funds and staff is unrealistic and
perpetuates the notion of conservators in ivory towers. (My
apologies in advance to those I may have offended with this remark.)

Concerning the filmoplast P-1 and P-91 tapes it's true that these
products are no longer made. Sales of this product were not enough
to justify continued production and the decision to drop the product
happened about two years ago. The tape was colored using tea which I
understand is a "traditional" way conservators have used to tone
papers and that there are now better ways available.  For those
concerned about the tannic acid content our lab ascertained prior to
production that the buffering agent we employ was enough to
neutralize these and still retain an adequate alkaline reserve in
the tape.  As pointed out by Mr. Vine earlier the tapes are slightly
less alkaline then our "standard" filmoplast P and P-90 and this is
why.

We (Neschen) have enjoyed a good working relationship with
conservators from around the world for many years. We place great
value upon these relationships and strive to present our products
sans snake-oil.  As manufacturers our duty is to provide as much
information as we can so that the professionals who use our products
can make informed decisions as to where they might be appropriate.
In the US any questions about our products can be directed to me and
I will do my best to see that you get the information you need.

Dave Dannhauser
Neschen Annex
One East Ave.
Lockport, NY  14094