Subject: Smoke stain on marble

Smoke stain on marble

From: Craig Deller <craig>
Date: Saturday, March 13, 1999
Eoin O Riabhaigh <sculpres [at] indigo__ie> writes

>Having restored a large 200 year old marble sculpture recently, some
>deep orange staining remains. Though the piece is now in a beautiful
>condition, and the gallery curator is very satisfied with the
>restoration, I would like to remove the remaining seemingly
>irremovable blemishes. Any advice out there?

I have had success with the removal of some staining in marble by
making a poultice of Laponite and 3% household hydrogen peroxide.
Once gelled and in place on the stain, I will drip a small amount of
30% hydrogen peroxide into the Laponite. Monitor closely and clear
completely with distilled water.

Craig Deller
The Deller Conservation Group, Ltd
Geneva, Illinois  USA
Conservation Services for Historic Furniture and Objects

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 18, 1999