Subject: Liquin

Liquin

From: Abby Hykin <ahykin>
Date: Thursday, March 11, 1999
This question is posted on behalf of Gary Faigin who is not on the
DistList. The author is the Artistic Director of the Academy of
Realist Art in Seattle, a small private art school specializing in
providing training in the traditional principles of drawing and
painting:

    My conservation questions have to do primarily with the relative
    permanence of some of the glazing techniques I teach.  I have
    heard different opinions on the subject of whether using Liquin,
    the alkyd resin made by Winsor/Newton, counts as 'fat' or 'lean'
    in terms of the layers of paint. We have all been taught to
    paint fat over lean, but I use lots of Liquin in the lower
    layers of my paintings, thinking of it as 'lean' because of its
    quickness in drying.  I then paint over the top of this, once
    dry, with a layer or two of paint thinned with a 50/50 mixture
    of stand oil and linseed oil.

    Does this seem like a reasonable technique?  And do you know of
    any limitations to painting additional glazes with the same
    50/50 medium over semi-dry or tacky layers of similarly mixed
    paint? Any feedback you have would be of interest.

    Gary Faigin
    gary [at] realistart__com

Abby Hykin
Assistant Conservator of Decorative Arts and Sculpture
J. Paul Getty Museum
1200 Getty Center Drive
Suite 1000
Los Angeles, CA  90049