Subject: Limp vellum bindings

Limp vellum bindings

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl>
Date: Monday, March 8, 1999
Jessica Baldwin <jbaldwin [at] tcd__ie> writes

>I am writing on behalf of our current intern Alexandra Brunner from
>Fachhochschule Bern, Switzerland. She is interested in any help
>finding reference books on the history and technique of limp vellum
>bindings. She is particularly interested in the use of parchment
>manuscript for covering.
>
>We have exhausted our reference library here and would be grateful
>for any suggestions about useful books and articles.

The best modern work has been done by Christopher Clarkson.

There is a short monograph entitled Limp Vellum Binding, published
letter press in a limited edition by the Red Gull Press in 1982.

If you can't find a copy, please contact me privately.

Some years ago, Christopher Clarkson also wrote an unpublished text
entitled Limp Vellum Binding; and its potential as a conservation
type structure for the rebinding of early printed books.  A break
with 19th & 20th century rebinding attitudes and practice.

As Tony Cains was one of the people who encouraged this research,
and since he is at Trinity College, he may have a copy....

I'm not aware of any articles dealing specifically with the re-use
of mss. as binding material, although that practice is well known
and often mentioned.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory
7549 N. Fenwick