Subject: Light levels for displaying wet specimens

Light levels for displaying wet specimens

From: John Simmons <jsimmons>
Date: Thursday, March 4, 1999
Sue Valis <suev_at_ama [at] amsg__austmus__gov__au> writes

>Would anyone be aware of the recommended light levels for the
>display of natural science wet specimens? The Australian Museum has
>currently on display wet specimens from the fish collection.

I am not aware of any published light levels recommended for display
of fluid preserved specimens, but would recommend that you (1) block
UV light and (2) keep the light levels as low as possible in the
exhibition.  Fluid preserved specimens are very sensitive to light.

John Simmons
Natural History Museum
University of Kansas
Lawrence, Kansas