Subject: Pest monitoring

Pest monitoring

From: Deborah Lee Trupin <dlt573>
Date: Friday, February 26, 1999
We have been using sticky traps for intensive pest monitoring at one
of our historic sites for about 3 years.  This past summer, the
staff was very distressed because a number of very very small snakes
(yes, really, snakes) were being caught in the traps.  They have
also had problems with mice running through the traps and dragging
them through the rooms.  So, they are looking for an alternative to
using sticky traps, or possibly for "permission" to stop monitoring.

We think they need to keep monitoring, as there is a persistent,
though "low level" dermestid population in the house and the
monitoring at least lets us keep track of where the critters are.
Any suggestions for alternative trapping or modifications to the
monitoring program would be welcome.

As a PS, lest everyone think the site is a disaster, I should add
that they have the most dedicated housekeeper in the system, strict
rules about where food can be eaten, etc.  The building, however, is
far from "tight" (and we are in the midst of an HSR to develop a
restoration plan to address that) and is in a rural location.

Deborah Trupin
Textile Conservator
NYS Bureau of Historic Sites
Peebles Island