Subject: Stack cleaning project

Stack cleaning project

From: Maria Fredericks <mf360>
Date: Wednesday, February 24, 1999
Here at Columbia University Libraries, we are in the process of
planning a cleaning project in an area of our rare book stacks that
was affected by an outpouring of soot from the air-handling system
during building renovation. The collections in need of cleaning
consist of the usual diverse assortment of bound materials, mostly
18th-20th centuries.  Some of the leather bindings are in a very
delicate and friable state already, and cleaning them without
causing further damage will be difficult.  Because of the volume of
work that needs to be done, we are considering hiring an outside
firm to do the work, with the idea that the workers will be trained
and supervised by a conservator.  Has anyone out there had
experience with such a project?  I'm be particularly interested in
hearing about problems or success stories with cleaning rare and
special collections, and any comments about the use of outside
contractors.

Maria Fredericks

                Distributed: Thursday, February 25, 1999