Subject: Professional qualifications

Professional qualifications

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl>
Date: Friday, February 12, 1999
In accordance with Karen Motylewski's request I have girded my
loins.

I have no professional qualifications.  I'm just an old English
major who discovered a very interesting occupation.  When I became
interested in the conservation of paper and books there was no
training program available to me.

The complete story is in an article which I wrote at the request of
Philip Smith, in the journal The New Bookbinder, vol 7, 1987, pp.
37-45.

Over the years which have passed since I opened my own shop in 1976
I have built a conservation research library in excess of 4000
volumes, in 14 subject areas, and God only knows how many journals.
It has become one of the largest conservation research libraries in
the world.

Since I did not worry overmuch about what I might have been told
could not be done, I simply went ahead and did it. Many of the
projects which I have completed over the years were those which were
turned down by 'trained' conservators.

This is not to denigrate academically trained conservators; it is
only said to express my viewpoint that there is more than one way to
skin a cat, and that academically trained conservators are all too
often told of only one way to skin a cat.

Over the years, I have had many apprentices/employees.  Some have
gone on to work in the field and some have learned that their skills
might be better applied to other pursuits.

Efforts to create a professional stance (as AIC and others are doing
now) are only efforts to enhance income; they are not efforts to
enhance the preservation of artifacts.

This is not only my personal opinion.  I have researched the
development of professional societies (part of the 4000+ volume
library) and it is always the same.

They say one thing, but it always comes down to money.  H.L. Menken
was right: when they say it is not about the money, it is always
about the money.

The fundamental issue is, can the conservator think?

It is not a matter of knowing a chemical formula.

It is a matter of understanding.  And that cannot be taught; it can
only be encouraged.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217
503-735-3942  (voice/fax)

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 17, 1999