Subject: Suction points

Suction points

From: Jane Rutherston <janer>
Date: Wednesday, February 10, 1999
The V&A Book Section is looking to acquire a suction point and/or
wedge to be able to remove stains caused by former tape repairs etc.
This should be usable on single sheet material as well as inside
books, it also needs to be usable in a fumehood.

We were interested in the American product, the "book suction
machine", sold by Museum Services Corporation.  This system can be
used with solvents and water, plus one can attach a wedge-shaped
suction point or a flat disk to the vacuum machine.  Unfortunately
this product has problems passing the health & safety regulations in
Europe because it doesn't have a CE-mark.  There is also a system
sold by BELO, a German company, which includes a book wedge attached
to a table.  I don't know yet whether one can remove the wedge or
put it into a fumehood and how practical this is.  In the meantime
we are interested in hearing comments and suggestions from
colleagues who have experienced the products mentioned above, built
their own system or know of any other products we should consider.

Pascale Regnault
Book Conservation
V&A Museum

                Distributed: Thursday, February 11, 1999