Subject: Aluminium barrier foils

Aluminium barrier foils

From: Martina Griesser <martina.griesser>
Date: Monday, February 8, 1999
As a Conservation Scientist at the Kunsthistorisches Museum in
Vienna, Austria, I have to deal with different problems concerning
preventive conservation. Recently we have got a problem with
corrosion of the metallic parts of different textiles stored in
metallic storage cabinets treated with an unknown finish. Testing
some part of the finish by the Oddy Test has identified it as the
potential source of trouble. To prevent the objects from further
corrosion the conservator and I discussed the possibility of
applying barrier foils between the metal boards and the objects.
Unfortunately we do not know any further details about either
suppliers of such barrier foils (especially suppliers within Europe)
or crucial properties of the foils one has to look at. Therefore any
information about your experience using such barrier foils as well
as supplier information would be very helpful.

Martina Griesser
Conservation Scientist
Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna

                 Distributed: Tuesday, February 9, 1999