Subject: Moths

Moths

From: Michael Trinkley <chicora1>
Date: Sunday, February 7, 1999
Ms. Binns inquires concerning an infestation of Indian Meal Moths,
specifically how to control them, but also expressing concern that
they may infest textiles.

Assuming that the moth being found is, in fact, the Indian Meal
Moth, and I suppose it is since this is one of the easier to
identify, then I might not worry a great deal about them getting
into the textiles. They are stored product pests, with the larvae
generally feeding on grains, dried fruits, seeds, crackers, powdered
milk, chocolate, and so forth. I don't recall that I've heard of
them feeding on textiles and I suspect that the soil on the textiles
wouldn't be very attractive to this species.

However, in terms of control I would probably first look at cleaning
up the infestation. Although the food has been "clean out," the
Indian Meal Moth can also be attracted to nuts and other foodstuffs
stored by squirrels or rodents. Since the infestation (or at least
the core) appears to be in the basement and/or first floor, I would
look for evidence of other animals that might have food stuffs
stored.

The pupal cocoons tend to be in corners and cracks, so these are
areas that should be cleaned especially carefully. You may be seeing
the emergence of adults "left over" from the previous food in the
building. An aggressive cleaning may help your problem.

One of the most successful pheromone traps is that for the Indian
Meal Moth. It attracts the male and should significantly reduce your
problem with this moth. Hope this is of help,

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director
Chicora Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 8664