Subject: Ole Jorgensen

Ole Jorgensen

From: Deborah Leveton <debkaylev>
Date: Monday, February 1, 1999
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender.

I'm seeking information about a conservator named Ole Jorgensen.

I've recently been appointed Curator of Salisbury House, a 42-room
mansion in Des Moines, Iowa that was built in the 1920s with 16th
century panelling, fireplaces, ceilings, floors, etc., transplanted
from England.  It houses a good collection and a fabulous rare books
and documents library.  Since 1954, Salisbury House has been the
office building for the Iowa State Education Association, but in
June it was purchased by a foundation to be restored and operated as
a museum.

There has been some conservation done on the collection during the
past 40 years, and I have many, brief references for work done in
the late 1960s/early 1970s (?) by someone named Ole Jorgensen.  But
while the records for the collection are otherwise remarkably
complete (the collectors' original invoices, etc.), I cannot find
any treatment reports from this conservator. He worked on everything
from paintings to porcelain.  I would greatly appreciate any
information about where I might locate this conservator or his
files.

Deborah Leveton
Curator
Salisbury House Foundation