Subject: Buffed mylar

Buffed mylar

From: Beverly Schlee <binderb>
Date: Tuesday, February 2, 1999
We have recently acquired many architectural plans on buffed mylar
dating from the 1970s.  These large plans have been folded and
creased to fit inside 8.5 x 11 folders.  Some of them have gotten
wet and, having dried, are now stuck together.  Is there a way to
separate the water damaged parts without causing further damage?

We would like to store these plans flat.  What is the best way to
unfold and flatten them?  Would humidifying them cause them to turn
to gel? Any advice, comments, would be welcome.

Beverly Schlee
Preservation Department
Arizona State University Libraries

                Distributed: Thursday, February 4, 1999