Subject: Pavement mosaics

Pavement mosaics

From: Shelley Reisman Paine <srpaine>
Date: Tuesday, February 2, 1999
Karen Fix <kfix [at] getty__edu> writes

>We are working on a project involving pavement mosaics (limestone)
>where the surface has roughened over time and resulted in a loss of
>color brilliance. The maintenance crew currently tosses a bucket of
>water over the surface to enhance the colors; this, of course, is
>adding to the normal deterioration mechanisms of the mosaic.  As an
>alternative solution, we are considering applying a coating with an
>appropriate refractive index, which would then conceivably smooth
>the surface enough to reduce the reflectance and allow the colors to
>appear darker.

I would look very closely at applying a coating. If the coating
covers the grout, the only pathway for moisture to exit the mortar
will be closed. Generally, when this happens water pressure from the
underside will build up and lift the tiles.  I just completed a hugh
mosaic sculpture--if you want to discuss this please give me a call.

Shelley Reisman Paine
Sculpture conservator

                Distributed: Thursday, February 4, 1999