Subject: Bloom

Bloom

From: Anne Skaliks <askaliks>
Date: Saturday, January 30, 1999
I am a conservation student at the Fachhochschule Koln--painting and
sculpture--and I have decided to research the phenomenon of
blooming--or more precisely--exudations of certain components out of
the oil-based binders of paint in (modern) artworks for my
dissertation.

The aim is to catalogue different appearances and distinguish them
from similar whitish phenomena and--naturally--find out which
chemical and physical pigment-binder-relation and environmental
circumstances influence or even accelerate this process.

The first step is the examination of a number of affected artworks
chosen from various periods to establish which is most susceptible;
the second is, to find out, how conservators used to treat such
artworks up to now and to elaborate on suggestions of how to deal
with them by means of preventive conservation and restoration (or
how not!).

The last step should be the restoration of one painting out of the
collection of the Kunstmuseum Dusseldorf.

The paper will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Elisabeth Jagers (FH Koln)
and Gunnar Heydenreich (Restaurierungszentrum Dusseldorf).

I would be grateful for any contribution concerning this problem,
especially case examples and experiences with their (successful as
well as unsuccessful) treatment. Literature references are also very
welcome.

Anne Skaliks
(conservation student, Fachhochschule Koln)
Guntherstrasse 4
50996 Koln
+49 221 354668

                 Distributed: Monday, February 1, 1999