Subject: Globe

Globe

From: Rebecca Donnan <r-donnan>
Date: Thursday, January 28, 1999
Dorothy Frye <frye [at] mail__lib__msu__edu> writes

>Our library has received the donation of a  globe that needs
>cleaning and repair. It is a 12-inch Cartocraft globe made in 1924
>by the Denoyer-Geppert Company, Chicago.
>Any suggestions for cleaning the globe without damaging the surface
>which appears to be paper-based?

A couple of years ago I worked on a Georgian globe the surface was
heavily soiled mainly with nicotine and fly spots. The varnish
underneath was reasonably sound so a method was found to clean it
without removing the varnish. A number of different methods were
tried and the one which gave fab results was: on a small area say
3cm X 3 a square of spider tissue was place and then a film some 3mm
thick of 5% methyl cellulose brushed over, depending on the level of
soiling this was left for a minute to as long as five minutes. The
tissue was removed and the softened grime swapped off with saliva
dampened swabs. Good luck,

Rebecca Donnan
National Gallery of Art

                 Distributed: Friday, January 29, 1999