Subject: Labelling molluscs

Labelling molluscs

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Saturday, January 23, 1999
Anne Lisbeth Schmidt <anne.lisbeth.schmidt [at] natmus__dk> write

>At The National Museum of Denmark we are working on a collection of
>molluscs from the late seventeenths century. Do anybody have any
>suggestions for labelling (numbering) by means of painting materiels
>directly on the objects?

A popular method employed here in the United Kingdom to label the
artifacts themselves uses Paraloid (Acryloid) B72.

A 10% solution of Paraloid (Acryloid) B72 in a suitable spirit
solvent is applied, usually in two coats to the surface of the item
to be labelled using a fine brush. The layers are allowed to dry
completely.Dry the layers leave a clear surface to work on.

An isograph pen with a 0.10 to 0.25 inch nib size and a suitable
water based ink (white, black & red available colours) applies the
reference marking to the clear smooth varnished surface. When the
ink has dried a further layer of the clear B72 varnish serves as a
protective top coat.

This method has been successfully applied to a variety
of items housed both inside and outside and in all weathers.
The process is easily reversible should the need arise.
For more detailed product information, application details
and material safety data interested parties can contact our
offices here in Cowley, Oxford, England (+44 1865 747755)
or at Springfield, Virginia, USA (800 634 6932).

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources
England

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 27, 1999