Subject: AIC Annual Meeting

AIC Annual Meeting

From: Jeanette Spencer <spenceraic>
Date: Friday, January 22, 1999
AIC Annual Meeting
St. Louis, Missouri
June 7-13, 1999

The 27th Annual Meeting of the American Institute for Conservation
of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC) will be held June 7-13, 1999 at
the Adams Mark Hotel in St. Louis, Missouri. The general session
will focus on two topics: "The Costs of Conserving Our Cultural
Heritage: Can We Afford It?" and "Used or Misused: The Responsible
Preservation of Functional Cultural Objects Still In Use."

The general session will commence on the morning of Wednesday, June
9 with Keynote Speaker, Maureen A. Farrow, Executive Vice President
and Director of Economics and Equity Strategy, of Loewen, Ondaatje,
McCutcheon Limited, Toronto, Canada, with her presentation "Doing
More With Less: An Economic Perspective."  The remainder of
Wednesday, June 9 will be dedicated to the topic "The Costs of
Conserving Our Cultural Heritage: Can We Afford It?"  The day's
program will feature:

    "Beyond the Operating Budget: Developing Support for
    Preservation"
    Inge-Lise Eckmann, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San
    Francisco, CA

    "For Francs or for France: Public Policy in the Conservation of
    Cultural Property"
    Jose Orraca, Photograph Conservator in Private Practice, Kent,
    CT

    "The Costs of Conserving Our Cultural Heritage: The Shelburne
    Deaccessioning and Collections Care Endowment"
    Brian Alexander, Shelburne Museum, Shelburne, VT

    "An Alternative Funding Mechanism for the Restoration of
    Cultural Heritage"
    Rosanna Kuon, Museo Padro d'Osma, Lima, Peru

    "The Preservation of Vermont's Cultural Heritage"
    MJ Davis, Vermont Museum and Gallery Alliance, Lyndon Center, VT

    "Objects of Desire: Acquisition, Loan and Exhibition Strategies
    at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
    Pamela Hatchfield and Susanne G-Nsicke, Museum of Fine Arts,
    Boston, MA

    "Serving Other Institutions: A New Approach to Creating Staff
    Positions at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation"
    F. Carey Howlett and David Blanchfield, The Colonial
    Williamsburg Foundation, Williamsburg, VA

    "Taking Charge: Forging a Preservation Plan and a Conservation
    Program for a Remote Regional Museum.  A Study in Cooperation"
    Ralph Wiegandt, Rochester Museum and Science Center, Rochester,
    NY and Caroline Welsh, The Adirondack Museum, Blue Mountain
    Lake, NY

    "Making Conservation Pay Its Way: The Business Experience of the
    Northeast Document Conservation Center"
    Ann Russell, Northeast Document Conservation Center, Andover, MA

    "The Cost of Conservation Research" (Panel Discussion sponsored
    by Research & Technical Studies Subgroup)
    Moderator: Chandra Reedy, University of Delaware, Newark, DE.
    Panel: Martin Burke, National Park Service, Harpers Ferry, WV;
    Stephen Callan, Polymer Testing of St. Louis, St. Louis, MO;
    James Martin, Williamstown Art Conservation Center,
    Williamstown, MA; Alison Murray, Queen's University, Kingston,
    Canada; Richard Newman, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA

    On Thursday, June 10 the general session will include
    presentations on both "The Costs of Conserving Our Cultural
    Heritage: Can We Afford It?" and "Used or Misused: The
    Responsible Preservation of Functional Cultural Objects Still In
    Use." Thursday's program will feature:

    "Unjust Compensation: A Comparative Study of Conservator
    Salaries and Cost of Living Around the World"
    Anton Rajer, Conservator in Private Practice, Madison, WI "The
    Cost of Preserving Your Health While Preserving Our Cultural

    Heritage: Can You Afford Not to Do It?"
    G. Edward Burroughs, National Institute for Occupational Safety
    and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Health,
    Cincinnati, OH

    "Conversion of a Convict-Built Warehouse into a Maritime Museum
    and Conservation Laboratory: The Balance Between Forces of
    Decay, Aesthetics, and Pragmatism"
    Ian D. Macleod and David Gilroy, Western Australian Museum,
    Fremantle, Australia

    "Keep Taking the Tablets--or a Hypochondriac's Attitude to the
    Conservation of Cuneiform Documents"
    Andrew Oddy, The British Museum, London, England

    "Involving Volunteer Community Artisans in the Conservation of a
    Historic Altar Screen at a Church in Arroyo Seco"
    Claire Munzenrider, Museum of New Mexico, Santa Fe, NM

    "Changing Treatment in Response to Changing Use: Observing the
    Interplay of Reading Modes and Book Conservation Practice"
    Gary Frost, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX

    "The Conservation of Historical Organs: Can You Finish by
    Sunday?"
    John R. Watson, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation,
    Williamsburg, VA Sessions will be conducted by AIC specialty
    groups (Architecture, Books & Paper, Objects, Electronic Media,
    Paintings, Photographic Materials, Research & Technical Studies,
    Textiles, Wooden Artifacts, and Conservators in Private
    Practice) the balance of the week on current topics of interest
    in their respective fields.  Other meeting offerings include:
    workshops and poster sessions, an exhibit hall featuring
    conservation suppliers June 10-12, and tours and workshops held
    at museums and sites throughout the St. Louis metro area.

For full program details and registration materials, information
about becoming an exhibitor or other questions about the annual
meeting, please contact the AIC office:

    American Institute for Conservation
    of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC)
    1717 K Street NW
    Suite 301
    Washington, DC 20006
    202-452-9545
    Fax: 202-452-9328
    InfoAIC [at] aol__com
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/aic/>

Be sure to visit our Web site regularly for updated conference
information.

Jeanette Spencer
Marketing Manager
AIC