Subject: Masks

Masks

From: Louise Bacon <bacon>
Date: Thursday, January 7, 1999
This is posted on behalf of Sophie Julien

    I am involved in a project dealing with the Horniman Museum's
    collection of Nigerian skin covered masks (sometimes known as
    Ekoi masks) and am posting this query in the hope of contacting
    and entering into discussion with anybody with experience of
    similar material, or carrying out research on skin.

    My research is mainly an investigation of the materials and
    techniques used to make these masks, but I am looking
    particularly at the physical properties of the skin and its
    stability in relation to environmental conditions.

    Sophie Julien
    Conservation Officer
    julien [at] horniman__demon__co__uk

Louise Bacon, Head of Conservation