Subject: Egyptian furniture

Egyptian furniture

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Thursday, January 7, 1999
Andrew Fearon <tbmcon [at] interport__net> writes

>I have been examining a chair in the Brooklyn Museum of Art
>collection from 18th dynasty Egypt. One interesting discovery has
>been through X-ray examination. Apparently a material, more radio
>opaque than wood, was used to fill voids throughout the
>construction. This material is found in the mortise chambers of the
>joinery, also between laminates of the seat back from which a sample
>has been taken. It appears that this material has both organic and
>inorganic components. Under magnification an amber colored
>transparent component has been noted which we suspect is a natural
>resin. A vigorous gas evolution has also been observed upon
>treatment with nitric acid that suggests a carbonate component.
>Formation of crystals similar to those of sulphate was observed upon
>drying.

>From experience in my lab and from the work I did at San Francisco
State with some of the Sutro Collection objects, I would imagine
that you are dealing with some kind of combination of substances
utilized by the fabricators.  While Lucas, 1962 is a good source for
construction materials, there are often variations in specific
cases, as that mentioned by Pamela Hatchfield in her contribution to
the Preprints of the Conference on the Conservation of Ancient
Egyptian Materials, 1988.  Gypsum plasters were often used, as were
coarse gessos mixed with a variety of materials to stop up knots and
fill depressions. But I am sure analysis will provide you with
specific components (gum arabic, etc.)

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service