Subject: Vapor barrier films

Vapor barrier films

From: Walter Henry <waiscool>
Date: Monday, January 4, 1999
In connection with vapour barrier films, anoxia, and related
matters, I received the following information from Murrell G. Selden
<murrellg [at] mediaone__net> and thought others might find it useful. See
<URL:http://people.ce.mediaone.net/murrellg/> for more info.

    ... I believe [Pollution Measurement Corporation] might be of
    service in supplying bags (or 3 sided bags) of laminate (which
    is described at
    <URL:http://people.ce.mediaone.net/murrellg/lam.htm>.

    This material has extremely low gas permeability, but you cannot
    see through it. Our other materials might be applicable, but I
    have not accessed the applicability of those other materials
    (like Kynar[tm], Tedlar[tm], Teflon[tm] and other films which we
    stock and use regularly). Mostly, you can see through them.
    Perhaps Tedlar[tm] or Kynar[tm] could be useful.

    I do believe our PMC Luer Locking Valve could be useful--either
    on bags for conservation of art objects or on cases (as in
    drilling a hole with a proper saw and installing the valve for
    flow through of controlled gases).  It could be that some art
    works could be stored in thick PE bags with two valves (one for
    flow in of a gas and one for flow out).  The humidity and/or gas
    composition could be controlled.  I can envision a system of a
    gas generator feeding a number of 1/8" diameter tubes, such as
    polyurethane tubes, going to a number of art works to carry a
    humidified gas cleansed of contaminants.  I don't have such a
    system, and I am not sure what the requirements would be.
    However, I do probably have some of the chief components of such
    a system.  And, my background probably gives me a substantial
    advantage in selection of the other components.

Walter

                 Distributed: Tuesday, January 5, 1999