Subject: Exhibition lighting for fluorescent ink

Exhibition lighting for fluorescent ink

From: Margaret Holben Ellis <mhe1>
Date: Friday, January 1, 1999
Alison Luxner <conserv.bac [at] yale__edu> writes

>We are planning an exhibition of contemporary prints, including two
>which are printed in fluorescent "glow in the dark" ink.

Coincidentally, I have been researching the conservation problems of
daylight fluorescent pigments, i.e., day-glo.  Chris McGlinchey and
I are investigating the differenced between fading of color and
quenching of fluorescence and the influence of UV on these changes.
Also, will be included means of accurately documenting these changes
via photography. An abstract on this topic has been accepted for
presentation at The Broad Spectrum: The Art and Science of
Conserving Colored Media on Paper, October 5-9, 1999, hosted by the
Art Institute of Chicago.  In the meantime, I would be glad to hear
of other work in this area or to share our findings as we proceed.

Margaret Holben Ellis
Conservation center
Institute of Fine Arts, NYU

                 Distributed: Tuesday, January 5, 1999