Subject: Storing collection materials in trailer

Storing collection materials in trailer

From: Karen Brown <kebrown<-a>
Date: Monday, December 29, 1997
I am hoping so get some "in the trenches" information on the pros
and cons of temporarily storing circulating library materials in
truck trailers, vs. storing in a warehouse space.

A client (NY, NJ area) contacted us last week looking for truck
trailer tips; he will be storing part of his general collections for
approximately 6 months, from January to June, during
construction/renovation.  While there is plenty of good info on
commercial storage options, we had no printed information on the use
of heated (not air conditioned) trucks.  We did have a good
discussion about access, humidity control, and security, but have no
literature, nor experience, to add to on truck trailer storage. In
the end, we decided in terms of access and collections care that a
records center *would* be best, but the cost seems significantly
higher.

If anyone has considered or gone with temporary trailer storage, I
would very much appreciate it if you could take a few minutes and
give me your thoughts or experience on the subject.  Thank you,

Karen E.K. Brown
Field Service Representative
Northeast Document Conservation Center
100 Brickstone Square